A church is a building used for religious services by most major Christian denominations.
1. This is one of my favourite London churches.
2. Half a century ago nearly everyone in Britain went church at Christmas.
A chapel is a separate area within a church or cathedral, or a building in a place like a school or hospital, where Christian services are held.
3. He turned away and went into one of the side chapels, where candles were burning.
4. I was working late in my school chapel, preparing for a special service the next day.
In Britain, a chapel is also a small church used by some Protestant Christians, such as Methodists or Baptists.
5. The funeral was held in the Methodist chapel.
6. The Baptists, of course, have got their own burial ground behind the chapel.