CHIPS, CRISPS, FRENCH FRIES
In British English, chips are pieces of potato cut like short sticks that are fried and served hot. They are called french fries in American English.
1. Then I’d get the tea ready, which was usually ham and chips, or kippers.
2. He ordered his lunch from Room Service — a club sandwich with french fries on the side.
Very thin slices of potato that have been fried until they are hard and crunchy are called crisps, or occasionally potato crisps, in British English and potato chips in American English.
3. I can’t open this packet of crisps.
4. …a bowl of dip surrounded with a selection of salty biscuits and potato crisps.
5. We had a packet of potato chips and American Ice Cream Sodas.