BOX, CARTON, CRATE
A box is a square or rectangular container used for packing objects. Boxes are usually made of cardboard or wood. Some are open, some have a separate lid, others close with a set of overlapping flaps.
1. He packed up his stock in cardboard boxes.
In American English, a carton is a cardboard box used for Packing things.
2. Hi-fis should be specially packed in the cartons in which they arrived.
In British and American English, a carton is also a closed cardboard or plastic container used for food or drink.
3. I drank more milk from the carton I had opened.
4. …eating ice cream directly out of the carton.
A crate is a box made from thin strips of wood.
5. …a large wooden crate.
A crate is also a box divided up into sections for individual items and made of wood, plastic, or metal.
6. Empty bottles chinked as the milkman put them into his wire crate.