A bar is a place where you can buy alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. A bar can be part of a larger building such as a hotel or theatre, or in America it can be a separate building.
1. He called for the menu and ordered in the bar while they were finishing their drinks.
2. Willie paid for the drinks and they left the bar.
3. He eventually selected a small bar calling itself the Pussycat Go-go.
A pub is a building where you can buy alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Most pubs are in Britain and Ireland. They often contain two or more bars and have an important role in the social life of the people nearby. Pubs are rarely found in America.
4. The Black Friar, lavishly appointed with Art Nouveau decoration, is the best pub of its kind in London.
5. We all met in the pub during the lunch break.
Both pubs and bars have a counter where drinks are poured and this is also called a bar.
6. He ordered a whisky and drained it standing at the bar.