Problems, illnesses, and misfortunes afflict people and cause them to suffer. You can also say that someone is afflicted with an illness, problem, or misfortune.
1. … the diseases that afflict the poor in poor countries.
2. Queasiness, headaches and languor afflicted her all day.
3. … those afflicted with the stark problem of how to keep on living.
When people inflict things like problems, pain, or damage on other people, they are deliberately doing something to make them suffer.
4. One ought not to inflict one’s problems on other people.
5. The body must have been erect when this chest wound was inflicted.
6. He wanted to inflict a punishment on me.